Sunday, May 11, 2008

Three New Shows, A New Interest

After settling down here in Sydney, for the first few weeks I have consistently plonked myself on the couch staring at the tv after dinner. The internet was down then, so there was no other choice, unless I wanted to re-watch the hundreds of movies/series that I have on my computer which i have watched countlessly. It was by chance that I was exposed to a few fantastic shows, one being Underbelly, a dramatized series depicting the Melbourne gang wars that happened not too long ago. It changed my perception of Australian dramas as the previous ones that I have caught on tv were pure rubbish.

The second was Two and a Half Men, an American sitcom revolving around the lives of two brothers and a child of one of them. I previously loved Friends, but Two and a Half Men completely blew the former away.

The last one was Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, where celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay visits an ailing establishment and aims to revamp and revive the eatery/restaurant in a week's time, utilizing everything that he knows about the trade. First, the show managed to present how the life of a chef is, and gives us some insight into the workings of a restaurant, which is of course interesting. Secondly, Ramsay - which owns a few Michelin stared restaurant, one of which is a three stared fine diner - can't help but emphasize the need and the benefits of using fresh ingredients. Lastly, he said that the passion for food is paramount if you are to succeed in that line.

I bought into what he said, and started to experiment with the freshest ingredients and not fearing what the outcome was, I'm proud to say that my endeavors were pretty much successful. By my own standards of course. To procure the freshest ingredients means going to butchers rather than supermarkets, or to purchase fresh herbs instead of bottled ones. It may prove to be expensive if you are cooking just for one, but as the numbers increase, the cost drops. Basic economics. To date I have tried cooking twice, which effort I hope I can keep up to at least try out something new each week. Hopefully.

This was my first attempt: Medium-rare Sirloin with Rosemary and garlic, served with pan-fried peppers and mushroom, and a thick creamy mushroom sauce.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home